2.05.2010

Blip.fm Makes Music Social

It seems like everybody these days has the ability to listen to music on the internet. Whether you are purchasing songs from iTunes or Amazon.com, or perhaps downloading programs like LimeWire - we all enjoy instant access to our favorite tunes.

One of the many pleasures resulting from finding, downloading or listening to good music, is being able to share the experience with a friend.

If I found a song I enjoyed on iTunes, I could send my friend an e-mail about it, maybe suggest that they purchase the same song. If I wanted to share one of my favorite songs to listen to while I cook, I could perhaps write about it on my friend's Facebook wall.

....or, I could just blip the song.

Blip.fm is a website I recently began visiting, which allows users to essentially tweet music. The website offers several neat features. Users can choose to blip music by selecting a song from the website's extensive music database. Much like the features on Twitter, when you blip a song, you can also attach a short 150 character message. By selecting a song and including a brief message, you are "blipping."



On Blip.fm you can follow updates posted by your friends or search through the public profiles to follow people who have similar music taste as you. Once you choose to follow someone, they are added to your list of "favorite DJ's." You can reply to your DJ's by inserting the "@" before their username in a blip.

For example:


Blip.fm also allows user to "give props" to DJ's. Giving props is essentially telling a DJ that you like their song selection - it's a way to give a thumbs up.

If you want to share you blips with friends or contacts outside of blip.fm, it is easy to link your account to other sites such as Twitter and Facebook, so that when you blip a song, an update appears on your other profiles.

If you don't want to share certain blips with your external accounts, it's easy - just add an "!" before the blip to prevent that particular post from publishing to your external sites.

Blipping allows users to make to listening to music a social experience. Gone are the days of mixtapes. Now users can simply create playlists of their favorite tunes for their friends or share stations.

Blip.fm has been a great site for me to explore. I like that it is easy to navigate, easy to use, and easy to link with my Twitter account. Although, I can't help but wonder - does anybody care what I'm listening to?

That was one of my initial thoughts in setting up a Twitter account - does anybody care what I'm up to? This was before I realized the potential Twitter had for me not only to share what I was doing and reading, but also for me to discover what others in my field were doing and reading. Twitter has been very beneficial to many people and businesses as well. But when you add music to the mix?

Aside from sharing my music with a few close friends or acquaintances, I am not quite sure I see great potential in blip.fm for enhancing communication in the business or public relations realms. Unless advertising teams decide to create stations to promote tunes from creative spots, I do not see much business use for this particular tool.

Although blip.fm is not the most useful business initiative, or most productive way for me to spend my time...I really do enjoy it, and if you're interested, I invite you to follow my station!

4 comments:

  1. How fine to see your blog today.I appreciate learning about how one can 'blip' a song to others.I imagine this sort of music choice could enhance work performance in certain environments...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really great for music enthusiasts. Although it is not necessarily work related, that's not really the point. Social media isn't just for professional use but for "social" uses as well.
    So this application is great for that individual who wants to recommend a song to a friend but in conversation just can't remember the name of that song for the life of them. I know I hate it when it happens to me. With this application, it's easy to just send your suggestion to your friend's twitter or facebook before you have the chance to forget it.
    I wouldn't call it a waste of time if it's something you and your friends enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting.

    I am doing research on social tagging of music, folksonomy. I am assuming that if you are tweeting it, Twitter is monitoring it. It's good to see someone else into the music aspect. Keep it coming.

    If I remember correctly, you did an internship at Mtv, right?

    Thanks for posting.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. James,

    Indeed very interesting what is now being included in the social aspect of the internet, music has always been a great way to bring people together.

    Yes, I did an internship there this summer - it was a fantastic experience.

    Thanks for commenting,
    Hugg

    ReplyDelete